This course introduces World Wide Web as a fundamental information and application platform for today's information systems. Students will examine core aspects of web technologies and web applications, and will develop usable websites. Independent research on an assigned topic is also required.
This course is part of the MSIT foundation courses that aim to provide a quick coverage of fundamental IT knowledge that is needed for later MSIT studies.
Course objectives/learning outcomes
- Explain different components of World Wide Web as a platform.
- Design and develop websites using fundamental web languages, technologies, and tools.
- Distinguish between server-side and client-side web technologies.
- Analyze user experience, usability and accessibility issues related to web sites.
- Evaluate various web application development issues and trends.
- Conduct independent research on a subject related to the course material.
- Take a project based approach. The development project will be driven by three milestones.
- Deploy web applications on a public cloud service provider (Azure).
- Allow students to explore their own interests and learn from the unique experience though a customized research paper.